Poetics Today 1 September ; 30 3 : — Recent research by V. Ramachandran and Semir Zeki has used neuroscientific methods to investigate the nature of aesthetic response. By situating their work in the context of post-Kantian aesthetic discourse, this essay demonstrates that such research provides an opportunity to bridge cognitive and artistic approaches to aesthetic experience and offers a provisional theory of art that incorporates both empirical and philosophical traditions.
Portable Document Format (PDF)
These theories will be considered in relation to Bret Easton Ellis's recent novel Lunar Park , which focuses explicitly on questions of representation and reality. Through a juxtaposition of Ramachandran's emphasis on caricature as a central principle of art and Ellis's focus on distorted and questionable realities, this essay suggests new possibilities for the integration of cognitive science with literary and philosophical criticism. Sign In or Create an Account. Advanced Search. User Tools. Sign In.
Aesthetics And Subjectivity From Kant To Nietzsche 2Nd Edition
Article Navigation. Close mobile search navigation Article navigation. Volume 30, Issue 3. Don't have an account? Sign in via your Institution Sign in. Purchase Subscription prices and ordering Short-term Access To purchase short term access, please sign in to your Oxford Academic account above.
- A course in mathematics,: For students of engineering and applied science,?
- The General Social Survey, 1972–1986: The State of the American People.
- Extraordinary: The Life Youre Meant to Live;
- Follow the Roar: Tailing Tiger for All 604 Holes of His Most Spectacular Season!
- Psychotherapeutic Attraction. Pergamon General Psychology Series?
This article is also available for rental through DeepDyve. View Metrics.
Aesthetics and Subjectivity: From Kant to Nietzche
Email alerts New issue alert. Advance article alerts. Article activity alert. Receive exclusive offers and updates from Oxford Academic. Related articles in Google Scholar.
Citing articles via Google Scholar. Early Modern Philosophy. Freedom, Truth and History , 2nd edition Oxford: Blackwell, [includes five new chapters on the Phenomenology , the philosophy of nature and the philosophy of subjective spirit] The Opening of Hegel's Logic.
Onnasch and P. Laitinen and C.
Boyle and L. Disley, 4 vols Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, : vol. Gardner and M.
- Chess Skill in Man and Machine.
- The Kings Gambit: A Modern View of a Swashbuckling Opening.
- Numerical Methods for Conservation Laws.
- Design, Analysis, and Interpretation of Genome-Wide Association Scans;
A Critical Guide , ed. Email Stephen.